Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

"Confident in soldiership"

Ok, I am not wanting to offend or to start a huge thing, but I have just read an article in the Salvationist which I want to comment on. It was written by the T.C; “Confident in Soldiership”. I quote only some but still quite a lot. Sorry:

Soldiership needs to be placed high on The Salvation Army’s agenda. The trend of recent decades of loss has been compounded by a seeming lack of will to give soldiership its rightful place….We respect and value adherents but we must also present a respectful challenge; Is there any reason why you cannot become a soldier?

There is one supreme directive for Salvation Army officers in Orders and Regulations: ‘To bring the message of salvation to the unconverted, and to lead and train the soldiery to win souls for the Kingdom.’ Those who think otherwise are a stumbling block to themselves and to the mission God has given us. It is beautiful to behold the strong steadfast, persevering, consistent commitment of the Salvation soldier. How can we be content with mere transient, temporary or topical involvement?

We have to combat the reality that in many situations a few seem to do most of the work. Soldiership is more than nominal membership, or attendance, or a name on a roll.


(Sorry about the colours, couldn’t help myself!) Ok, firstly I would like to point out that I have no qualms with people who chose freely to become soldiers in the spirit of commitment. I have no problems with people who wear uniform and are proud to be members of The Salvation Army. I just want to make that known.

I have probably had this conversation with many of you before so I’m sorry for the re-run. I find it really difficult whenever this topic comes up and I think the problem is my own defensiveness rather than actual opinion. I always feel as though I am being called to defend myself. I first attended the army when I was 6 days old and have attended regularly since. I have been lifted and shifted by the army throughout my life. I have been in singing companies, music schools, drama groups, timbrels, Roots etc. The army has been my spiritual home where I have found a personal relationship with God. Yet, I feel the need to defend my membership. The TC asks If there is any reason not be a soldier- but is there any reason I should?! If I do not feel a calling to this commitment should I do it anyway just because it makes me one of the gang? Does performing an outward action give me more of an inward spiritual grace than not doing it?

My dad has a passion for soldiership and I do respect him for that. As far as I understand, my dad believes soldiership to be a commitment worthy of ownership- you become invested in the work of the army so much that you will do something. You wouldn’t see Ryan Giggs playing without his Man U strip- why would you act out your spirituality in the Army without the ‘strip’? Dad says that every church has an ‘act’ of membership- baptism confirmation etc, but soldiership isn’t like that. It isn’t a one off outward that enables the inward. It’s a continual outward that can evoke pride, exclusiveness and an ‘act’ based church rather than heart based. It can become a front, a face, a marching parade of goodness and glory- but who’s?

Sprituality isn’t about ‘wearing your strip’. I cant agree with him. I think as much as I am an extrovert and I am willing to talk about God a lot- for some reason the idea of making it and ‘outward expression’ makes me cringe. I have never worn a WWJD bracelet, I do not wear a cross, I haven’t made a public declaration of faith (well, once when I was like 7 but I think I’ve grown since then). The idea of standing of front of a load of people and signing a covenant, or getting baptized, or being confirmed or any of those things provokes almost a physical reaction. This isn’t because I don’t value soldiership but because I do. It’s a important, sacred, spiritual step for many people and I would never undermine it as much as to just act it when I didn’t want it. And why should I be made to feel I have to- my commitment to God is my business and mine alone and as much as I accept the value of accountability being antagonized into a ritual doesn’t make me grow spiritually.

The TC also mentions the need for an evangelizing spirit (I paraphrase) or else you are a ‘stumbling block to yourselves and to God’s mission’. What?!! If everyone in a corps was an evangelizer who would be the teacher, disciple, carer? I do want people to know God- of course I do- but I wouldn’t say I went out of my way to make it so. I want people to be happy. With or without God; Christian or non-Christian in any capacity. But to say that makes me a stumbling block to the plan! I really cant explain anymore but that statement annoyed me so much when I read it. I am also slightly offended by the insinuation that because I am not a soldier my commitment is transient- my commitment to what- the army or to God?

Soldiership SHOULD BE more than nominal membership- but all the time the regulations make soldiership an exclusive little club rather than an act of sacrament it won’t be corporately. Individually, maybe. My name is on Gods roll- whether its on the TC’s or not.

3 comments:

At 2:50 PM Bec said...

Right, oooh well where to start :-> Well the whole thing is a bit of a mine field so please bear with me and please don't take offense at anything I say it might come out a bit wrong in places.
Firstly from some of your comments, i'd say you have had some bad experiences and/ or some hang ups about "uniform" which is and can be seperate to the issue of soldiership. I agree with your dad that each church has their own membership ritual thing and adherancy - can't spell and soldiership is the army's. Now i also agree that attending church but not becoming an adherant or soldier doesn't make you an less of a member. But like you said a lot of people do feel called to adherancy and/ or soldiership. I agree that the whole uniform and soldiership thing can become a facade and a whole pride etc thing but it is at the end of the day down to the individual - as is the decision to make the step if it is right for them. Wearing uniform is an optional part of the soldiership thing and people again have different views on this. But it is down to the individuals motives, thinking and feeling behind wearing the uniform. Some people can and do wear it for the wrong reasons or get side tracked by things but just as each persons relationship with God is individual and down to and up to them only each individual can answer where they stand on it. Anyway i'm running myself in circles here hopefully i've made some sense here and it hasn't just come out as gobledegook.
As for the evangelizer thing. My viewpoint on this is that certain people have been given the gift of evangelising as some have been given the gift of teaching etc as you said. But at the same time it is down to EVERYBODY to evangelise - i know it sounds like a contradiction but hear me out. It depends how you look at evangelising - evagelising in the whole selling papers or going out in the high street etc is not everyones cup of tea or calling but evagelising to the ones around us in work life, school life, uni life, home life and everything else is everybodies responsibility - you invite the person next to you and i'll invite the person next to me. We all come into contact with different people and God gives us situations and opportunities to speak about him and make our faith known - in whatever way we feel most appropriate or feel led to do - for some people this is wearing crosses or bracelets for others not. But we all have evangelising potential and opportunities within our own immediate environment - as you said you speak to people about your faith etc - that is one form of evangelising - evangelising isn't just standing on a street corner or going into the town etc - "You in your small corner and I in mine" We can all do something xxx

 
At 4:36 PM Becks said...

Thanks bec. I do think you're right about uniform and soldiership- it is a very individual thing when push comes to shove. I like your take on evangelism as well. I suppose that just being who you are and being there for people can be evangelism but I wouldnt consciously think of that as tryin to convert people. maybe its just that word- convert- it sounds so harsh and forced rather than just evangelising. Hope you are ok xxx

 
At 5:14 PM Liz said...

Was chattting to someone at work about this article - who is neither soldier or adherant, but does 'go to the army' when time permits.
She was really challenged by the question, citing her reason for not becoming a soldier as a life style choice.

I'm sure we all know plenty of 'flighty' Salvationists as well as those who commitment is second to none.

I questioned my collegue as to what difference becoming a soldier would make if she did change her life style and she said - NONE.

But I suppose the point is that it's not about US and what difference becoming a soldier would make to us, is it about the difference that could be made to TSA if more people did, with or without uniform?

Can the SA funtion without soldiers? Could it function just as well with adherants or 'members' ?

Will think abou this more once I've read tha actual article :)

Does the TSA have to change it's shape to be more relevant 'out there' or would that be a compromise?

 

Post a Comment