Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

the living stone

i've been reading the blogs of some people i know and they all seem to be very smart and deep and they use long and intellectual words to explain themselves and i feel stupid. again, i raise the point to myself that comparison only ever leads to devaluing oneself. but i can't help it. i am a complusive compare-er.

but then i read this:

"the workmen took one look and threw it out; God set it in the place of honour"
1 peter 2:4
i realise that although i already knew that comparison was useless, i never really got to the core of why. comparison is not useless because it only leads to us feeling worthless (although that is true) or because we have to recognise we are individuals (although that is true also), comparison is useless and destructive because it undermines the very truth of the thing i believe in; that God loves me. if i truly value that statement and belief it whole heartedly, then making myself feel bad because i am not like someone else is an insult. God does not and has never wanted me to be like someone less, and whether the world would prefer me thinner, prettier, more intelligent and motivated etc is fine, but God doesn't. the workmen of the world might look at me and throw me on the proverbial scrapheap, but God loves me, and thats all that counts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment