Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

Symbols vs existance

i wish i had something very insightful to say that would interest you all, unfortunatly I dont. I only have the brief wondering that interested me! so tough!
For one of my last ever essays (boo hoo hoo!) I have chosen to look at feminine images of God in post-holocaust jewish theology. which probably doesnt sound all that interesting but I'm quite enjoying it. I never particularly thought of myself as a feminist but being at uni has created more of a feminist streak in me. Dont get me wrong-i'm not gonna start going on about the oppression of women (chris hates it! despite the fact that many women in many places are oppressed. but then again so are men, but thats not the point) In researching this topic, and looking at how people define God I found this quote.
“Religious symbols are neither arbitrary or inert. They are significant and powerful communications through which a religious community expresses a sense of itself and its universe. Religious symbols give resonance and authority to a community’s self-understanding.”

The woman who wrote this, Judith Plaskow, was trying to address the fact that male dominated language bout God has become what God is. Sometimes the language that sits on top of what is being describes, becomes what the described thing is. God is no longer formless and indescribable yet given male terminology to make things easier. God is understood by many as a man- with all that that encompasses. I know I have spoken a lot before about definition and the need for people to define themselves and those around them. It is a natural human tendency but do we miss what is truly there in doing so. Buddhism teaches that it is only by completely removing yourself from the social constriants that live in your own mind and cause you to be how you are that you find your true being and the true importance//worthlessness of everything around you. Do Christians need to be Buddhist when it comes to viewing God?

1 comments:

At 2:42 PM Liz said...

Woah! That is REALLY interesting Becks thank you!

I am going to think about that this week.

 

Post a Comment