Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

Kirsty tagged me in on this - I'm sorry it has taken me so long to complete the task!

Five events and the opportunity to record the impact they had on you:

Princess Diana's death - 31 August 1997


I don't remember very much about the day that Princess Diana died, I was only 11 to be fair. I do remember the day of her funeral- mostly because I was bored. My Nana and grandad came round to watch it on the TV with my mum and dad. I remember moaning because it was boring to me. I didn't get why everyone was so interested in watching it. But still, i sat on the floor by my dad and watched the whole thing.

Margaret Thatcher's resignation - 22 November 1990

As I was only 4, it didn't really matter to me!

Attack on the twin towers - 11 September 2001

I was at school. I remember that it happened about lunch time and rumours started flying around about it but no one really knew what had happened or why. I vividly recall coming home to find my mum sat staring at the television, obviously shaken. I came in and sat with her. She just turned to me and said

And man, at war with man, hears not
The tidings which they bring;
O hush the noise, ye men of strife;
And hear the angels sing!

I didn't know what it was at the time, but I've found out since that it is a verse from 'It came upon the Midnight clear'. The whole verse goes -

Yet with the woes of sin and strife
The world has suffered long;
Beneath the heavenly strain have rolled
Two thousand years of wrong;
And man, at war with man, hears not
The tidings which they bring;
O hush the noise, ye men of strife;
And hear the angels sing!

I thought it seemed poignant to put it up in whole, on this, the anniversary.

England's World Cup semi final v Germany - 4 July 1990

Again, I was 4. I liked barbies, snails and climbing. Wierd combination i know. So, the England vs Germany semi final passed me by!

President Kennedy's Assassination - 22 November 1963

As with Kirsty, 'What? When?'

0 comments:

Post a Comment