Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

...what are friends for?

After quite a few different conversations and blogs and recent reminders, the idea of friendship is in my head.

What are friends for? I have a brilliant group of friends whom I adore and without whom I do not think I could survive all the panic-induced mini fits that strike me all too often in everyday life. Without them my life would not only be full of a lot more fear, but missing more joy than is describable. I am honoured to be able to include my sister in my list of closest friends, along with my new fiance! But, what is the duty of these people as my friend, and what is my duty to them?

Is it my duty to tell them when they have done something wrong- whether than has been calculated biblically, emotionally, by moral codes or gok wan's dress codes? Is it my duty to make sure they are aware of there failings or does standing up against what is wrong have to go hand in hand with judging someones choices?

Is it possible to 'judge' your friends and still be 'friends' with them?

I am aware of the inadequacies, if i may, of the people I love the most. I am aware of the times that they have chosen to stroll along a moral walk-way that veers off into a darker and mistier part of the woods than I would choose to go. I am aware of their regrets and the things they wouldn't dream of repenting- regardless of other's opinions. And despite this, I have never looked at any one of these people and been ashamed. I have never looked at any one of these people and been embaressed of them. I have never looked at any one of these people and wanted to point out the weaknesses in them. Despite my awareness.

I have sinned. I have been broken and rebuilt and turned into a resemblance of a dropped mug a five year old superglues back together. I have been nasty and vindictive. I have been heartless. I have chosen to do things that I am sure walk me into dark corners of other people's moral pathways. but if I, lacking as I do, can be a friend- then how much more can God be a friend to me. I don't dare suggest that God can accept sin or that my relationship with God does not require my repentance gratefully met with His forgiveness. I just marvel at how, if the measly amount of love I have allows me to over look another's inadequecies, how much more God must be able to see past, to see the best of me.

This is quickly becoming one of my favourite poems, I love you, by Roy Croft. For my friends...if they read this.

I love you,
Not only for what you are,
But for what I am
When I am with you.
I love you,
Not only for what
You have made of yourself,
But for what
You are making of me.
I love you
For the part of me
That you bring out;
I love you
For putting your hand
Into my heaped-up heart
And passing over
All the foolish, weak things
That you can't help
Dimly seeing there,
And for drawing out
Into the light
All the beautiful belongings
That no one else had looked
Quite far enough to find.
I love you because you
Are helping me to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern
But a temple;
Out of the works
Of my every day
Not a reproach
But a song.
I Love you
Because you have done
More than any creed
Could have done
To make me good,
And more than any fate
Could have done
To make me happy.
You have done it
Without a touch,
Without a word,
Without a sign.
You have done it
By being yourself.
Perhaps that is what
Being a friend means,
After all.

1 comments:

At 4:47 PM Dawn said...

I love that poem. Thank you for posting it.

 

Post a Comment